Skip to content
Walnut Spice Cake Recipe
Cook Time: 1 Hour, 20 Minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- Can also be made in a 12-cup tube pan: increase baking time to 45 to 50 minutes.
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp Ground Allspice
- 1 1/4 cup butter
- 5 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp maple flavoring
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cream butter and brown sugar using an electric mixer.
- Add egg yolks, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg and salt; beat well.
- Combine baking soda, baking powder and flour in separate bowl; add to mixture alternately with milk.
- Mix in walnuts.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar.
- Beat at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into cake batter.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove cake from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Cream butter and allspice with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar, milk and maple flavor, beating until spreading consistency is achieved.
- Frost between each layer, then frost the sides and top of cake.
- Garnish with 1/4 cup chopped walnuts.