Skip to content
Almond Sugar Cookies Recipe
Cook Time: 41 Minutes
Yield: 3 dozen cookies
- Tender cookie with delectable frosting all with a delicate almond flavor.
Almond Sugar Cookies
- 2-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1-1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, pure
Creamy Almond Icing
- 1-1/2 tsp meringue powder
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 to 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- Optional, Food Color Kit
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter and powdered sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until creamy.
- Add egg, vanilla and a half teaspoon almond extract and beat well.
- Thoroughly blend flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to butter mixture until well combined.
- Roll cookie dough into 1-inch balls and place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Gently press down with a glass that has been dipped in sugar.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, until just browning around the edges.
- Cool on wire racks.
- To make Creamy Almond Icing, beat shortening, 1 tablespoon water and almond extract with electric mixer until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and meringue powder.
- Beat until creamy.
- If frosting is too thick, add water by the teaspoonful until desired consistency.
- Tint icing if desired.
- Frost cookies, sprinkling with colored sugars or decorations if desired.