Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli
- Cook Time: 55 Minutes
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- Broccoli is a great addition to this creamy cheese sauce.
- 2 cup (about 6 1/2 ounces) whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tbsp Minced Onion
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 3/4 cup (7 ounces) shredded sharp 2% milk cheddar cheese
- 3 cup frozen broccoli flowerettes, thawed
- 1 cup topping, your choice: corn flakes, garlic croutons, crushed saltines OR cheese crackers
- Spanish Paprika
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water; set aside.
- Combine corn starch and milk in a medium saucepan.
- Add dissolved bouillon cubes, onion, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil; boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in cheeses until melted.
- Add cooked pasta and broccoli.
- Stir until blended.
- Pour mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole dish; top with desired topping.
- Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
Broccoli can be quickly thawed by adding to hot pasta water immediately before straining macaroni.