- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan.
- Add onions, carrots, and garlic.
- Sautee; over medium heat until vegetables are just crisp-tender.
- Add zucchini, bell pepper and mushrooms; sauté; until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and seasonings.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- For a thinner more traditional sauce, puree marinara in a large food processor or blender.
- Return pureed marinara to large saucepan. (For a chunkier sauce, use an immersion blender to partially puree the sauce in the pan.)
- While marinara is simmering, combine ground turkey, egg,spinach, onion, basil, garlic powder, salt and black pepper in a large mixing bowl (clean hands work best for this).
- Portion into 16 meatballs (1-1/2 inch).
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add meatballs to skillet and brown all sidesuntil cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from skillet and add to marinara sauce.
- Continue to cook marinara and meatballs for 10 minutes.
- Pierce squash thoroughly with a sharp knife; about 1-inch in depth.
- Place squash on a plate or shallow microwave-safe casserole.
- Microwave squash on HIGH for 8 to10 minutes.
- Turn over and continue to microwave on HIGH for an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until squash is soft when pressed.
- Remove from microwave; let sit 5 minutes to cool.
- Slice squash in half.
- Using a fork, lighlty scrape to remove seeds.
- Now, scrape the squash flesh from the skininto a large serving bowl.
- Top with marinara and turkey meatballs.
Spaghetti squash can be baked for 1 hour in a 350F oven; pierce squash prior to baking.