Sweet and Spicy Rub for Roasted Chicken
- Cook Time: 2 Hours, 10 Minutes
- Yield: About 3/4 cup
- Roasted chicken with a spicy, yet sweet coating. Just rub on the seasonings and bake!
- 1/2 tbsp Spanish Paprika
- 2 tbsp Onion Powder
- 2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp Oregano Leaf
- 1 tbsp Sweet Leaf Basil
- 1/2 tsp Ground Thyme
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 (4 to 5 pounds) whole roasting chicken
- 1 tbsp corn oil
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Combine paprika, onion and garlic powder, salt, oregano, basil, thyme, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of rub mixture with the brown sugar; set aside.
- Place remaining rub mixture (about 1/2 cup) in an airtight container to store for future use.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry; place in a shallow pan.
- Rub oil over all sides of the chicken.
- Distribute the rub over the chicken, generouslycoating all surfaces.
- Roast for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, until done (juices should run clearand a meat thermometer inserted in thigh should register 180ºF).
Serve on a bed of seasoned rice. To make, add 1 teaspoon rub seasoning to the cooking water of 2 cups rice. This will yield 6 cups cooked rice.
Use rub on ribs, pork chops, turkey breast or even grilled chicken!