Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Apple Slaw
Cook Time: 6 Hours, 15 Minutes
Yield: 4 cups
- Sandwiches so delicious, you won't believe they're healthy for you!
- 2- 2 1/2 lb bone-in chicken breast
- 3/4 cup apple butter
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 to 2 chile peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 8 whole grain hamburger buns
- 2 tsp corn oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1 bag (14 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Dash pepper, cayenne
- Remove skin from chicken.
- Place chicken in greased 4 to 5 quart slow cooker.
- Combine apple butter, chicken broth, chiles and garlic in a medium bowl.
- Mix well; pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours on LOW or 4 to 5 hours on HIGH.
- Meat should be very tender.
- Pull apart using 2 forks and discard bone.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add mustard seed and onion; cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add apples and cook 1 minute.
- Add coleslaw and cook 2 to 3 minutes until cabbage is still crisp but looking slightly wilted.
- Add vinegar and cayenne pepper and mix well.
- Spoon pulled chicken on sliced bun; top with slaw.