Skip to content
Frosted Cinnamon Rolls
Cook Time: 2 Hours, 38 Minutes
Yield: 12 rolls
- This recipe was the 2002 winner at the Iowa State Fair.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope yeast, rapid or quick rise
- 1 cup water (120 to 130F)
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tbsp light cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, pure
- Cream butter, sugar and salt together using an electric mixer.
- Stir in egg.
- Add 2 cups flour and yeast.
- Pour water in all at once and mix.
- Gradually add 1-3/4 cups flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead 5 minutes on lightly floured surface.
- Place dough in a greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise until double, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Punch down and roll out dough to a 18 x 10-inch rectangle.
- Brush dough with 3 tablespoons melted butter.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle entire amount evenly over dough.
- Roll up from long side; seal edges.
- Cut roll into 12 slices.
- Using three greased8-inch square pans, place 4 rolls per pan, cut side up.
- Cover and let rise until double, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350F for 16 to 18 minutes. Cool.
- Mix powdered sugar, vanilla and enough cream to make icing of pouring consistency.
- Drizzle frosting evenly on all rolls.