Skip to content
French Onion Soup Recipe
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- Homemade classic French onion soup - who can resist?
- 6 slice (1 inch thick) French baguette
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cup sliced onion (approximately 1 large onion)
- 2 tbsp butter OR margarine
- 1/4 tsp Sweet Leaf Basil
- 1/4 tsp Oregano Leaf
- 1/8 tsp Thyme Leaf
- 6 slice (1 ounce each) Swiss cheese
- 2 can (10.5 ounces each) beef consomme
- 1/4 cup butter OR margarine
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan or stock pot over medium high heat.
- Add onions and garlic powder.
- Sauté until onions are caramelized.
- Add consomme and water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan; add basil, oregano, and thyme.
- Brush tops of baguette slices with butter/herb mixture.
- Place bread buttered side up in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until bread is crisp and lightly browned.
- Remove from oven.
- Set oven to broil.
- Pour soup into individual oven-proof bowls or ramekins.
- Add 1 slice of bread to each bowl; top with 1 slice of cheese (trim cheese to fit bowl; if necessary).
- Broil about 6 inches from heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until cheese is melted and slightly browned and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.