- Place apples and cider in large stock pot or Dutch oven.
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in sugars, cinnamon, allspice and lemon juice.
- Simmer an additional hour, until very thick.
- If freezing, pour hot apple butter into freezer containers, leaving ½-inch head space.
- Cover and freeze.
Apple butter should be of smooth consistency for easy spreading.
If apple butter is lumpy, beat with a hand mixer to reach desired consistency.