Slow Cooker Spicy Pork Carnitas
Cook Time: 6 Hours, 17 Minutes
Yield: 10 servings
- "Carnitas" means little meats and this carnitas meat is not only tender and delicious but easy to make in the slow cooker.
- 2 to 3 lb (1 to 1.5kg) boneless pork loin roast, cut into 2-inch chunks, visible fat removed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp corn oil
- 1 tsp Oregano Leaf
- 1/2 tsp chile, chipotle
- 1 each bay leaves, whole
- 6 clove garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 each cinnamon, sticks
- Place pork, onion, tomato, bell pepper, garlic and chicken broth in a lined or greased slow cooker.
- Add chili and chipotle powders, oregano, cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours or until meat is very tender.
- When cooking is complete, remove and discard cinnamon sticks and bay leaves.
- Shred meat using two forks; drain meat but reserve the juices.
- Drizzle pork with oil, stir to combine.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Place cooked pork on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Broil meat 5 to 7 minutes or until slightly browned and crispy, but not burnt.
- Divide evenly between tortillas, top with cilantro and queso fresco, if desired.