Quinoa and Sweet Potato Chili
Cook Time: 60 Minutes
Yield: 3 quarts
- Quinoa thickens this tasty chili and adds extra protein.
- 1 tbsp corn oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 3 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seed
- 1/2 tsp pepper, black fine grind
- 1 quart (32 ounces) unsalted chicken OR vegetable broth
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 can (15 ounces each) no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 can (15 ounces) no salt added OR reduced salt black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 inch sweet potatoes
- Garnish with green onions, chopped cilantro or sliced jalapenos
- Heat Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat and add oil.
- Add onion, bell and jalapeno peppers and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Add chili powder and cumin and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until spices are aromatic.
- Add chicken broth, sweet potatoes and garlic.
- Bring soup to a boil; reduce heat to medium and cover.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, quinoa,black beansand corn and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes and quinoa are tender.
- Serve with fresh green onion, cilantro or jalapenos for garnish.