Pot Roast with Cranberry Pomegranate Sauce
- Cook Time: 2 Hours, 20 Minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- Rich browned roast beef is accented with the subtle sweetness of cranberries in a savory sauce.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 to 3 lb boneless beef chuck roast, excess fat removed
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, divided
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine flour, salt, garlic powder and black pepper in a shallow pie pan or bowl.
- Pat roast dry using paper towels.
- Dredge the roast in the flour mixture, coating thoroughly.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or deep sided roasting pan over medium-high heat.
- Brown meat for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until well browned.
- Remove roast to a plate.
- Add onions to pan juices and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in pomegranate juice and half of the cranberries; bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Return roast to pan, turning to coat with sauce.
- Cover pan and place in oven.
- Roast for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- Stir well and add remaining cranberries.
- Cover and continue cooking 20 to 30 minutes until roast is tender.
- Remove from oven and allow roast to rest for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to serving platter, slice roast and top with sauce.
Serve this delicious roast with wild rice pilaf, roasted sweet potatoes and pan grilled asparagus.