Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Thick slices of French bread, stuffed with cream cheese and preserves, then dipped in eggs and milk lightly flavored with vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Recipe provided courtesy of Butler House on Grand Bed and Breakfast, Des Moines, Iowa.
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) French bread, unsliced
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup peach OR apricot preserves
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp butter
- Slice bread into 14 to 16 slices (about 1 inch thick).
- Then cut a pocket into each slice, cutting from the top-crust almost to, but not through the bottom crust.
- In a small bowl, stir together softened cream cheese and peach preserves.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of cream cheese mixture into each pocket.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Dip stuffed bread slices into the egg mixture.
- On a griddle or skillet, melt butter.
- Add stuffed bread slices.
- Fry over medium heat until golden brown, turning at least once (allow 2 to 3 minutes per side).
- Serve with maple syrup.