Cinnamon Rolls 2013 Iowa State Fair Winner
Cook Time: 3 Hours, 30 Minutes
Yield: 24 rolls
- Mashed potatoes and buttermilk make for a very tender dough. Filled with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon, the rolls bake to have a caramel-like bottom. Delicious!
- 2 envelope yeast, ADY or traditional
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 7 to 7 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup warm water (100º to 110ºF)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp butter OR margarine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch slices
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 to 4 tbsp very hot water
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- Bring potato and 1-½ cups water to a boil in a covered medium saucepan.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are very soft.
- Mash potatoes in water-a few lumps are fine.
- Measure potato water to make 1-¾ cups (add extra water if needed).
- Pour potato water back into saucepan.
- Add butter, sugar, salt and buttermilk.
- Heat or cool until mixture is warm (100º to 110ºF).
- Combine ½ cup water, yeast and ½ teaspoon sugar in a small bowl.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes or until foamy.
- Combine potato mixture, 2 cups flour and yeast mixture in a large mixer bowl.
- Beat for 2 minutes until very smooth.
- Gradually beat in flour, 1 cup at a time until a soft dough forms.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for 8 to 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to coat.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 45 to 60 minutes, or until doubled.
- Punch dough down and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll each portion into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Spread dough with half of the butter and sprinkle with half of the brown sugar mixture.
- Roll up, beginning with the long side. Seal edges.
- Cut into 12 rolls and place in a greased 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover and let rise 45 to 60 minutes, until doubled.
- Baked in preheated 350ºF oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Beat powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter and salt until blended.
- Gradually add water until desired consistency.
- Spread over rolls.