Chipotle and Bacon Pecan Rolls
- Cook Time: 3 Hours, 45 Minutes
- Yield: 24 rolls
- A great caramel roll made even better with bacon and chipotle.
- CARAMEL SYRUP:
- 1-1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 cup whole pecan halves
- 6 tbsp corn syrup, light
- 1-1/2 lb bacon, cooked and chopped in ½-inch pieces
- 3/4 butter OR margarine
- 3/4 tsp chile, chipotle
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cup reserved potato water
- 8-1/2 to 9-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup warm water (100° to 110°F)
- 3/4 cup butter OR margarine
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (from 2 medium potatoes boiled in 3 cups water)*
- 2 envelope yeast, ADY or traditional
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Combine potatoes, hot potato water, butter, sugar and salt in large mixer bowl.
- Stir until butter melts; set aside and let cool until lukewarm.
- Combine yeast and ½ cup warm water in small bowl and let stand 5 minutes to soften the yeast.
- Add eggs, 2 cups flour and yeast mixture to potato mixture and beat well.
- Continue adding flour, 1 cup at a time until soft dough forms.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to coat.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place about 1 hour, until doubled.
- While dough rises, prepare the caramel syrup.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, cream and chipotle in a heavy saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until butter melts.
- Grease two 13 x 9-inch baking pans and pour an equal amount of syrup in each pan.
- Sprinkle each with half the pecans and bacon.
- Punch dough down; divide in half.
- Roll one portion of dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12 x 18-inch rectangle.
- Spread with half the butter for the filling.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle half of the mixture over surface.
- Roll up tightly, sealing edges.
- Cut into 12 slices.
- Place in prepared pan.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover and let rise 30 to 45 minutes, until doubled.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let rolls cool 5 minutes and then invert onto serving tray.
For potato water, simply mix 1 tablespoon potato flakes in 2 cups hot water.
Instant mashed potatoes can also be used.