Caramel Rolls- 2012 Winner
- Cook Time: 3 Hours, 10 Minutes
- Yield: 18 rolls
- 2012 Iowa State Fair Cinnamon Roll Contest Winner
- OR corn syrup, dark
- 1-1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, pure
- Caramel Syrup:
- 5 to 5-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope yeast, ADY or traditional
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup corn syrup, light OR corn syrup, dark
- 1/3 cup butter OR margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cup butter OR margarine, cut into slices
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (unseasoned)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup warm milk (100° to 110°F)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine
- 2 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pour ¼ cup warm milk and yeast into a small bowl; let rest 5 minutes to soften yeast.
- Heat butter and ¾ cup milk until warm (100° to 110°F); butter does need to completely melt.
- Pour warm milk and butter mixture into large mixer bowl with ½ cup sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Add eggs, mashed potatoes, 2 cups flour and yeast mixture.
- Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place, about 1 hour, until doubled in bulk.
- To Make Caramel Syrup:
- Combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and cinnamon in aheavy saucepan over low heat.
- Cook until syrup is just starting to bubble around the edges of the pan, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour an equal amount of hot syrup into two greased 9-inch square pans.
- Sprinkle toasted pecans over syrup and gently stir to coat the pecans. Set aside.
- Punch dough down and divide in half.
- Roll out onto a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin to a 12 x 10-inch rectangle.
- Spread with half of the softened butter.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon andsprinkle half of the filling evenly over dough.
- Roll up jellyroll style.
- Slice into 9 rolls, placing cut side down, in pan, on top of Caramel Syrup.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover and let rolls rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from oven and let stand 2 minutes.
- Invert rolls onto serving platter or parchment paper.