Apple Pie Coffee Cake
- Cook Time: 5 Hours, 10 Minutes
- Yield: 1 large coffeecake
- The traditional flavors of apple pie in a coffee cake.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine
- 1 egg, plus 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 envelope yeast, rapid or quick rise
- 4 to 4-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, pure
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tbsp milk
- 3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into thin slices
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon peel
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Ground Allspice
- 1 to 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Heat milk, water and butter in small saucepan until the butter melts.
- Remove from heat and set aside until the mixture cools to between 120to 130F.
- Beat the milk mixture, sugar, egg and yolks, salt, yeast and 2 cups of flour in a large bowl with electric mixer at low speed for 2 minutes.
- Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up.
- Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down.
- Press into greased 12 or 14-inch pizza pan (with sides).
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Toss apple slices with lemon juice and peel in a large bowl.
- Combine the sugar and spices in a small bowl.
- Lightly brush dough with 1 to 2 tablespoons of honey, leaving 1/2-inch border around the edge.
- Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs ontop of honey.
- Arrange apple slices on coffeecake.
- Top with sugar mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Mix all icing ingredients together until smooth, adding enough milk for desired consistency.
- Drizzle over coffeecake.
May use Cinnamon Sugar in place of Cinnamon Maple Sprinkles