Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- Yield: 24 cupcakes
- These Southern delights are famous for their red color and are a sweet treat anytime of the year.
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk (at room temperature)
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) food color, red
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Sprinkles, colored sugars, candies, nonpareils, fresh berries, chopped nuts, etc. for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line 24 muffin cups with baking cups; set aside.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl of electric mixer.
- Whisk together oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar and vanilla in medium bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, mixing well, until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Distribute cake batter evenly into cups of prepared pans, filling each 2/3 full.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 8 to 10 minutes in pan.
- Remove cupcakes from pans; cool completely.
- Frost and garnish each cupcake as desired.